It’s that time of year again, the holidays are quickly approaching. Thanksgiving is already next week! The holidays are fun and exciting, but the food prep, traveling, gift exchanges, etc can make it a little busy and chaotic. So many things to do!!
While everyone’s “to do” lists are likely quite long already, it is important to remember to prep your home for the holidays; especially if you are hosting! Of course there’s decorating and planning tablescapes, but here are some other tasks to get your home ready for the holidays.
- Replace burned out light bulbs in every room
- Tighten any loose cabinets, drawers & handles
- Check all handrails to make sure they are secure.
- Schedule a professional carpet cleaning if the carpets are looking dirty
- Clean windows so your guests can see your decorations or beautifully falling snow
- A fresh coat of paint can really spruce up any room in the house
- Check that your snow blower works
- Clear driveway and walkways of snow and ice – don’t want anyone to slip and fall
- Make sure your outdoor house lights are functioning properly and they are turned on when it’s dark
- Check the caulking and weather stripping around windows & doors — no one likes a cold draft
- Go through and clear out your fridge, so there is room for all the delicious food
- Clean the microwave – it’s bound to get used by a guest
- Make sure the garbage disposal is working
- Clearly define your recycling and garbage containers to make it easy for your guests
- Have leftover containers available or invite your guests to bring their own
- Make sure the toilets are operating properly
- Check that your bath fans are working — ventilation is an important part of keeping your bathroom clean & mildew free
- Make sure you have enough guest bath and/or hand towels
- Always wise to have extra toilet paper in site and maybe a plunger; just in case 🙂
We hope you found our guide on prepping your home for the holidays helpful. If you have any questions, feel free contact us.