Have you always dreamed of building your own deck? While building a deck is a fairly large and complicated construction project, it is possible to do-it-yourself. You will need several tools including (hammer, tape measure, level, cordless drill & saw) and a desire to invest a little sweat equity. Here are my tips and recomendations for those interested in building a deck onto their home.
- Check with City or County ordinances for set-back requirements.
- Based on your design, determine the size of footings and the size of joists to carry the weight so the deck doesn’t settle.
- Install proper flashing where deck attaches to the house, to prevent the deck from rotting the wall.
- Use correct fastener spacing when attaching framing members and decking as per building code.
- Stairs if needed must be installed according to the building code for safety of the user.
- Hand rails & railings should be installed at proper locations & heights for safety.
Once your deck is complete, sit back and enjoy the rest of the summer!